advertising revenue machine
For some time now I’ve used Facebook as a broadcast channel for my content. That is, I post to my personal, self-hosted, on my own server, in my own house blog so I actually, unambiguously own my content. Then I let facebook rebroadcast it. That is, apparently, going to end.
They have decided that they will make it more difficult to use facebook to disseminate content facebook doesn’t own – that is any content you actually enter into the facebook interface is facebook’s and they chose whether to keep it or delete it, make money off it or bury it. You’re just an unpaid worker troll feeding their advertising revenue machine, and you will no longer let to play with their toys if you don’t play along.
Social networks are kind of cool, but it will be a good thing when facebook jumps the shark and we get the next iteration. It’ll be a sad day for everyone who has put a lot of effort into gifting facebook with as much content as they can though, when all that UGC goodness ends up on ebay’s used hard disks section for bargain hunters to sift through with disk recovery tools for their own amusement.
- Deep Learning Image Compression: nearly 10,000:1 compression ratio! 2022 June 28
- Audio Compression for Speech 2022 June 28
- Audio Processing Workflow 2022 April 18
- Ancient history: DEF CON 9 Talk on Quantum Computers 2021 November 21
- South Lake Tahoe Caldor Fire Timelapse 2021 September 03
- Save your email! Avoid the Thunderbird 78 update 2021 June 19
- Compile and install Digikam on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal (21.10 too) 2021 March 26
- Tagging MP3 Files with Puddletag on Linux Mint 2021 March 23
- Never put important data on anyone else’s hardware. Ever. 2021 January 22
- EZ rsync cheat sheet 2020 December 30
- Post History
August 2022 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31