First, in Canada, I got a GMC Acadia, a moderately stupid SUV with seating for 7. It was snowing and so I suppose AWD was useful, but the only really good part about it was the heated seats. The gas expense was not so great…
The Acadia was fine as far as it went, but then my next rental was a Lincoln Navigator. I’ve not run across one of these before (though not much different than the Escalade). It wasn’t horrible as a driving experience, though I was happy enough not to have to take it through any urban areas as I would have needed to upgrade the wheels. I mean stock rims… Seriously.
The heated seats worked fine in that one too, but the backup camera that emerged from behind a half-silvered rear-view mirror was pretty cool. Especially as looking back is pretty useless through a forest of headrests.
In both cases I was the only passenger. This added to the value of the experience.
At least in LA at the end of the week, Hertz gave me a lovely C300. I think the exact same one I had rented earlier. A lovely car that seems far less silly.
- ((Starship Troopers + Dances With Wolves + The Lion King + Bryce^3 + (Lord of the Rings)^-1) * Jar Jar Binks) + Sigourney Weaver = Avatar #
- Trying new EB flight path suggested by @phragments: last flight to ORD, AM connect to ET destinations. Like redeye but w/ 5 hrs in real bed. #
- Damnit. Oven isn't working so my nuts are cold. Hate that. http://myloc.me/2NhKd #
- Morons at crowne plaza ORD have totally useless VM and if you dial enough rndom nums to get front desk, cant give dirs to own shuttle. FAIL. #
- ORD B6 RCC redesign is an improvement. Lots of outlets. http://myloc.me/2NxJR #
- OMG!! I haz found the user's guide to the WHOLE internet in my hotel room! Only 2 pages! Skip to chapter on 4C http://tweetphoto.com/8555117 #
- Transport Canada has effectively killed CA-US travel. Nice work! no lines, fast wifi at the
Lounge. Response does what terrorism can't. #
- Wow most polite, most efficient screening yet: RCMP WIN. Plus who doesn't love a quick reacharound? Concourse empty Travel dead Canada Fail. #
- Plus the female half of my RCMP pair looked very, very good in body armor. Now to kill the hour allocated to screening, which took 5 min. #
- 2 new mm-wave "naked scanners" at term 2 YYZ but no lines: not us customs, nor security, nor 2nd search/fondle. No carry-on still annoying. #
- Yay @unitedairlines lost my priority tagged bag from YYZ to jfk. Meeting tomorrow naked. BS YYZ rules mean I have nothing. #
- Terorrists exploit allergic response. Trivial bite triggers anaphlactic shock, kills US economy. http://myloc.me/2Q9YB #
- Warning!! UAL RCC at LAX warning. After the refurb (to hospital style pale green) men's and women's rooms have been swapped. Look b4 peeing #
- And, not just new toilets, but btand new hz busses in la. Mmm new bus smell (really). http://tweetphoto.com/8716912 #
- Attending Joe Davis' lecture at the California NANOSystems Institute auditorium. #rubisco #aliens http://myloc.me/2UCUx #
- I like a rental car with inflation advice for 100+ speeds. http://tweetphoto.com/8806955 #
- "Every drop counts". Nowhere more true than on a urinal. Thanks for the reminder, Toto. http://myloc.me/2V2dt #
- http://tweetphoto.com/8811967 #
Powered by Twitter Tools